Starfish harvested a huge butternut pumpkin from the school garden. We decided to make pumpkin soup with it. The class discussed various ingredients and the cooking methods such as boiling and simmering. It was an opportunity to learn about measurements such as the litres of stock used.
We came up with a simple, delicious recipe.
3kg peeled, seeded, chopped pumpkin
2 chopped onions
2L vegetable stock
Nuttlex for frying the onion
- Melt some Nuttlex in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook it for a few minutes until it goes translucent.
- Add chopped pumpkin and mix thoroughly.
- Add the stock and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Off the stove and blend the mixture using a hand blender.
- Serve the pureed mixture with cream.
Enjoy the warm pumpkin soup with your friends!